In February 1943, work was completed on an experimental version of the P.108 bomber intended to carry out anti-ship duties. The new design was designated P.108A (Artigliere - Gunner) and was fitted with a 102 mm cannon.
The 102 mm L40 cannon was derived from a commonly used 90 mm cannon, employed by both the Italian army and navy alike, which had its calibre increased for better effectiveness against ships. The cannon could achieve a practical rate of fire of 20 rounds per minute and it’s ammunition complement of 12 rounds was fed via a drum magazine. The aircraft was able to carry up to 53 rounds for the main cannon, thus making in-flight reloads possible. However, the additional weight and required space for the cannon made it impossible to carry additional bombs in the internal bomb bay, in turn severely limiting ground support capabilities.
Although the aircraft showed favourable results in numerous tests throughout 1943, and whilst initially being in high demand, the changing tide of the war, and consequent shifts in development priorities, lead to a steady decrease of interest in the project. In the end, out of the first batch of planned aircraft, only the first prototype based on a P.108B airframe, was built.
This prototype was taken over by German forces prior to Italy’s surrender in late 1943 and was shipped to Germany in 1944 where it was subsequently destroyed in an allied bombing.