Nicknamed the “Deuce-and-a-half” by the U.S. army, the American 2.5 ton triple-axle 6x6 made by GMC is a true army workhorse. GMC trucks were vital to supplying and equipping allies after land operations began in Europe, and more than 560 thousand of these trucks were produced during World War II. They proved invaluable to supply lines and the battlefield. The GMC CCKW 353 was a combat model of the famous truck equipped with a 40mm anti-aircraft gun and used by the French in WWII.
Various allied armies other than the US used the reliable GMC trucks. France adopted a variant of the 1941 model with a simplified cabin design and longer chassis—the military all-wheel-drive (6x6) GMC CCKW 353. Equipped with a 40mm Bofors cannon (very familiar to War Thunder naval warfare testers), the GMC vehicle was transformed into a mobile anti-air defense platform that could also be used against ground targets, such as enemy infantry, lightly armored vehicles, and fortifications.