In the early 1950s, Israel considered purchasing the new French AMX-13 light tank. Although Israel admired the performance of the AMX-13’s SA-50 75mm cannon, it was deemed too lightly armored and they abandoned the purchase. Instead, Israel purchased the 75mm SA-50 cannon only, which would be fitted onto the reliable, battle-tested stock Sherman chassis—which was already fielded and favored by the Israeli military in 1954.
The result of this combination was the M-50 Super Sherman, which Israel continued developing and improving well into the second half of the 20th century. By 1964, several hundred Sherman tanks armed with the 75mm SA-50 cannon were manufactured and used until the early 1980s, after which they were phased out of active duty.