The Fiat G.50 Freccia (“Arrow”) was the first Italian all-metal monoplane fighter, which, although clearly inferior to allied fighters of the time, was the best Italian fighter aircraft.
Development of the fighter began in 1936, at the request of the Italian Air Force, and ended with the creation of an easy-to-manage and extremely maneuverable interceptor. The "Arrow" used such modern technology as a constant-speed all-metal propeller and variable pitch, as well as retractable landing gear. The “Arrow", however, could not take advantage of the monoplane design because its engine was too weak (at 840 horsepower). The aircraft’s limited armament was also a weakness - it had two synchronous large-caliber machine guns with 150 rounds of ammunition.
The first series of 45 G.50s, production of which began in late 1937, had a closed cockpit, and while it provided relatively good visibility, the pilots were not very enthusiastic about it, so the second series of planes (200 aircraft) were built with an open cockpit. All in all, 833 G.50s were build (including all variants).
Besides Italy, the plane served in Finland, Croatia, and Spain as well.