Focke-Wulf Fw 190 D-13 "Dora" single-engine high-altitude fighter
The Fw 190 D-13 was the last production variant in the family of Fw 190D aircraft with Junkers Jumo 213 engines. The first two prototypes were converted from production Fw 190 A-8s in October and November 1944. Both machines differed from the Fw 190 D-12 only in their armament. In the V of the Jumo 213E engine, a 20 mm Mauser MG 151/20 cannon with 220 rounds was mounted instead of the 30 mm Rheinmetall-Borsig MK 108 cannon. There were also two 20 mm synchronized Mauser MG.151/20 cannons in the wing roots. Later, the Jumo 213 F-1 engine was installed on these planes, equipped with a 9-8213 H supercharger and an MW 50 injection system. Since the plan was to use aircraft from the D-13 series as high-altitude fighters, both prototypes were equipped with airtight cockpits.
The Fw 190 D-13 was not launched into full-scale production until March 1945. Planes were produced in the Fw 190 D-13/R11 variant, an all-weather interceptor fighter, and equipped with a PKS 12 automatic pilot, a FuG 125 Hermine radio system, and a heated cockpit canopy windscreen.
About 30 of these aircraft were built by the end of the war, and 20 were delivered to the JG 26 Fighter Wing. The Fw 190 D-13/R5 variant was supposed to be equipped with a ТSА-2D sight and a ventral ETC 504 rack and underwing ETC 71 racks for 50 kg SC 50 bombs. German forces planned for Fw 190 D-13/R5s to be subsequently armed with two Ruhrstahl X-4 air-to-air missiles.
Distinctive features of the Fw 190D included a rational layout of the engine components and the engine-propeller power plant and a well-designed automatic cooler temperature regulator. A well-tested fire control system was developed for the aircraft. When all gun positions fired simultaneously, aim was stable, and the pilot felt virtually no recoil. Extensive electrification of the equipment simplified the pilot's work. These final German fighters, the Fw 190D and the Ta 152, were the swan song of the era of piston-engined machines.