In the two-crew Bristol Beaufighter heavy fighter series, some modifications were designed to patrol coastal areas and escort vessels. The designations of these variants ended with the letter C to indicate that they were used by the Coastal Command. The first modification for the Coastal Command appeared in 1940 and had the designation Beaufighter Mk.IC.
The wing guns were removed so that added extra fuel tanks could be added, a 227-liter tank in the right wing and a 109-liter tank in the left. The next model, in which the engine was replaced with a Hercules Mk.VI (1650 hp), began production in November 1941 and was designated the Beaufighter Mk.VIC.
By the end of 1942, most of the Beaufighter Mk.VICs been modified to carry torpedoes, and in April 1943 they made their first torpedo attack, sinking two merchant ships off of the Norwegian coast.
A total of 5,928 Beaufighters were built.